Archives

Urgent! ARHS Items Stolen

Written by ARHS. Posted in Railway News

Important Notice To All With An Interest In Railway History

 

At some time in the latter part of the week ending 18th December there was a burglary at the ARHS Vic Div Inc Railway Museum in North Williamstown.

Entry was forced into the signal box and the following items were stolen:

  • Two Block Instruments
  • Two Lamps
  • Two Staff Exchange Boxes
  • One Staff Instrument Bell    

Thickbox for displaying images

Written by Glenn. Posted in Website, Technical

Due to upgrading the site to Joomla 3 this plugin no longer works.

The EMRC website now has the Thickbox plugin installed to better present images in your articles. An example can be found on the article on the Shelf layout's bridge. Its use is totally voluntary Laughing

 

How to Use

This information has been adapted from:

http://www.lbm-services.de/index.php?option=com_content&%3bview=article&%3bid=22&%3bItemid=46 and is here mainly for local use.

 

Note:For all examples replace the brackets () with curly brackets {}. Using {} will activate the plugin!

 

Iframed Content

This is used to present another site in a smaller window and make it appear to be part of EMRC's site, as can be seen in the example below:

{tiframe linktext:="Old EMRC site" width:="850" height:="650" url:="http://www2.nmit.vic.edu.au/~david/emrc2/"}

Syntax:
(tiframe linktext:="Old EMRC site" width:="850" height:="650" url:="http://www2.nmit.vic.edu.au/~david/emrc2/")

To add a thumbnail image, link to the path as follows:

{tiframe linktext:="Old EMRC Site" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.elthammrc.org.au/oldsite/" thumb:="/images/stories/aussienotes.png"}

Syntax:

(tiframe linktext:="Old EMRC site" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www2.nmit.vic.edu.au/~david/emrc2/" thumb:="/images/stories/aussienotes.png")
 

 

Gallery

This provides forward and back navigation to the frame.
 
 
To create a gallery of links simply add gal:=link_gallery_name to the command; for example:
{tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 1" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www2.mandriva.com/linux/one/" gal:="link"}
{tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 2" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.ubuntu.com/" gal:="link"}
{tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 3" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.de.debian.org/" gal:="link"}
 
Syntax:
(tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 1" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www2.mandriva.com/linux/one/" gal:="link")
(tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 2" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.ubuntu.com/" gal:="link")
(tiframe linktext:="Go Linux 3" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.de.debian.org/" gal:="link")
 
 
 
 
As before thumbnails can be added.
(tiframe thumb:="/images/tux2_klein.jpg" linktext:="Go Linux 1" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www2.mandriva.com/linux/one/" gal:="link") 
(tiframe thumb:="/images/tux2_klein.jpg" linktext:="Go Linux 2" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.ubuntu.com/" gal:="link")
(tiframe thumb:="/images/tux2_klein.jpg" linktext:="Go Linux 3" width:="850" height:="600" url:="http://www.de.debian.org/" gal:="link")
 

Inline Content

First create a div with a unique ID and some important content like this:

You should read this text again in a single box.

{tinline linktext:="Click here." width:="450" height:="300" inlineId:="test" }

 

Syntax:

<div id="test"><p>You should read this text again in a single box.<p></div>
(tinline linktext:="Click here" width:="450" height:="300" inlineId:="test" )

 

Single Image

Probably the most common use for the Thickbox plugin.

{timg title:="Lovely Bloom" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox1.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox1.jpg"}

 

Syntax:

(timg title:="schöne Blume" thumb:="/images/plant4_t.jpg" img:="/images/plant4.jpg")

 

Image Gallery

As for the links when images are displayed in a gallery navigation links are provided for the user to skip forwards and backwards.

{timg title:="Flower 1" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox1.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox1.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants"}{timg title:="Flower 2" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox2.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox2.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants"}{timg title:="Flower 3" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox3.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox3.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants"}

 
 

 

Syntax:

(timg title:="Flower 1" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox1.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox1.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants")
(timg title:="Flower 2" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox2.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox2.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants")
(timg title:="Flower 3" thumb:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/th/thickbox3.jpg" img:="images/stories/resources/thickbox/thickbox3.jpg" gal:="gallery-plants")

 

Note that to get the images in the same horizontal line remove all whitespace and soft/hard carriage returns in between the )( pairs.

 

Image Gallery from Image-Folder with Thumbnail Creation

New in version 2 is the ability to automatically create a gallery from a folder.

{gallery title:="Flowers"}stories/resources/thickbox{/gallery}

 

Syntax:

(gallery title:="Flowers"}stories/resources/thickbox{/gallery)

 

Invisible Inline Content (requires v0.7 or higher)

{thickbox linktext:="Invisible Inline Content" width:="650" height:="450" }
... some content.... {/thickbox}

 

Syntax:

(thickbox linktext:="Invisible Inline Content" width:="650" height:="450" )
... some content.... (/thickbox)

 

and with an icon...

{thickbox thumb:="images/stories/books-sml.jpg" linktext:="My invisible Inline Content Box" width:="350" height:="250" }
... some content.... {/thickbox}

 

Syntax:

(thickbox thumb:="images/stories/books-sml.jpg" linktext:="My invisible Inline Content Box" width:="350" height:="250" )
... some content.... (/thickbox)

 

Adding SqueezeBox to the Front End

Written by Glenn. Posted in Website, Technical

Note:This method has been abandoned due to a problem of when an article has a number of images the same image is displayed in the SqueezeBoxno matter what thumbnail is clicked. It may work OK for articles with only one image.

A far more flexible solution is to use the Thickboxplugin. Read the article.

 

 


This information is adapted from http://dvector.com/oracle/2009/02/05/using-the-joomla-lightbox/

 

Joomla uses a MooTools lightbox in the administrative backend, called SqueezeBox. By default, SqueezeBox is not available to frontend sections, categories, and articles. It is a relatively simple matter to include squeezebox onto the frontend and improve your visitors’ experience.

It is not required to understand what MooTools and Squeezebox are nor how they work in order to successfully create a wonderful lightbox effect. A lightbox may be used to display a large picture from a thumbnail or any link. Additionally, any web page may be displayed within the lightbox (a great way to display a map or directions).

Joomla template setup

The easiest setup is to include the following code in your site’s main template. This makes SqueezeBox available to all pages based on the template.

Include this code within the but after the tag. Only the Super Administrator can do this.






Using the SqueezeBox

Basically, you are creating a link and the link opens the lightbox content. A link may be created around a thumbnail image or text. For an image, the lightbox is automatically sized . Here are the steps:

Open your selected content for editing in Joomla.
If you are using the WYSIWYG editor, then click the Edit HTML or Code button.


LINKTEXT




Displaying a web page

Surround your LINKTEXT with the following anchor tag.


LINKTEXT

Araluen update November 2010

Written by Doug Willet. Posted in Club News

Progress has been slow but steady (much, much slower than originally anticipated) over the last eighteen months. The initial construction of the layout was adequate, but Doug soon realised his supports for the upper level of track left something to be desired. So another member of the EMRC, Glen Eaton, was "volunteered" to do some corrective surgery, producing a more sturdy base for the track (thanks Glen !). The basic scenery is almost finished, and with a passing siding on each level, it is possible to have up to 4 trains ready to go at any time. While originally we began with a generic American train set, plus some donated generic rolling stock, the Araleun team have over time, and with inspiration from a trip to see Puffing Billy, decided they really want to have Australian models, so stock has been sold to raise cash, and now investigations are underway to source affordable Australian trains (we have a limited budget !).

How to use the CSS Gallery

Written by Glenn. Posted in Website, Technical

A CSS gallery feature has been installed in the EMRC site. An article featuring its use is here.

With it you can:

  • call
  • extend
  • modify galleries with the code in the content item.
  • set the images folder
  • other enhancements as detailed below.


The CSS Gallery Plug-in is called from within the content item (ie an article).

Preparing your images

Create a folder under /images/stories. The default maximum size is 400 pixels wide by 300 pixels high, but this can be over-ridden. For best results the images should be the same aspect ratio and orientation, ie all landscape or portrait. If this is not true then you will see the old images underneath the new ones as the mouse moves over the thumbnails.

CSS Gallery automatically re-sizes your images to suit. The original images are kept intact.


Gallery

Create your article as required.

To insert the gallery enter {*becssg}{/becssg*} (without the asterisks) into the article (code view is not required) and contains the name of the folder with your images. The path to this folder "/images/stories" is added by the plug-in automatically and must not be inserted.

The complete call for example would look such as:
{*becssg}cssgallery{/becssg*} - without the asterisks

To use a folder within a folder, the path below "/images/stories/" is used, e. g. to use the folder /images/stories/folder/subfolder" the call would look such as:
{*becssg}folder/subfolder{/becssg*} - without the asterisks

In general that´s it and the gallery is ready to go.

 


Parameter Overrides

Starting with version 1.2.0 CSS Gallery allows you to change every default setting from the back-end whilst calling the plug-in within the content item. With this feature it is possible to use different settings for every single gallery. One may create galleries of different width and height, change the number of thumbnails per row and more.

To achieve this, the call of the plugin gets extended by the needed parameters. They are separated from the folder name and from each other by vertical bars (|). The have the syntax PARAMETER=VALUE:
List of possible parameters:

width - maximum width of main image in pixel (integer) e.g.: 600

height - maximum height of main image in pixel (integer) e.g.: 450

iqual - quality of scaled main image in percent (integer) e.g.: 90

throw - number of thumbnails per row (integer) e.g.: 4

tqual - quality of thumbnails in percent (integer) e.g.: 70

prld - should we preload the images? possible values: 0 (no), 1 (yes)

align - align the gallery within the content item; possible values: 0 (right), 1 (center), 2 (left), 3 (float left), 4 (float right)

sort - images sort order; possible values: 0 (A-Z - DEFAULT), 1 (Z-A), 2 (old-new), 3 (new-old), 4 (random)

fixstart - leave the start-image visible on hover; possible values: 0 (no), 1 (yes)
(may be deactivated when showing images of different proportion in one gallery. not cross browser!)

caps - show captions; possible values: 0 (no), 1 (yes)

links - show links; possible values: 0 (no), 1 (yes)


Samples:

{*becssg}cssgallery|width=600|align=2{/becssg*} - without the asterisks
Regardless of the settings in the backend, this gallery is shown with a width of 600 pixel (width=600) and aligned left in the article (align=2)

{*becssg}cssgallery|caps=0|prld=0{/becssg*} - without the asterisks
No captions (caps=0), no preload (prld=0)

{*becssg}cssgallery|width=400|height=300|throw=5|iqual=95|tqual=70{/becssg*}
- without the asterisks
Width 400 pixel (width=400), height 300 pixel (height=300), 5 thumbs per row (throw=5), quality of main image 95% (iqual=95), quality of thumbs 70% (tqual=70)

NB:
The parameters listed here correspond with the parameters in the plug-in's configuration panel. Find a details description at: Howto Plugin .
The first parameter of the initial call always has to be the folder name (path). The sorting of the other parameters is arbitrarily.



Captions


Captions and text have their own call. It´s as follows:

{*becssg_c}gallery-number|imagefile|caption|text{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks

Gallery-number:
The galleries within one content item are numbered by the plug-in automatically starting with 0.
This setting is obligatory.

Imagefile:
The exact name of the file "myimage.jpg".
Left empty, the call is used as default for the whole gallery. This means, if there is no setting for an image, this one is used.

Caption:
The Caption. If left empty . . . no caption is shown.

Text:
The additional text below the caption. If left empty . . . no text is shown.

Samples:

{*becssg_c}0||myTitel|myText{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks
This call sets "myTitel" and "myText" as the default values for the first gallery within the current content item by leaving the imagefile-value empty.
Notice: You don´t have to set a Default. If you don´t and there is no setting for an image, just nothing is shown.

{*becssg_c}1|pic01.png||myText{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks
pic01.png of the second gallery in the content item has no caption but the text "myText"

{*becssg_c}0|pic02.png||{/becssg_c*} -without the asterisks
pic02.png in the first gallery shows no caption and no text although there is a default. The explicit setting overrides it.

{*becssg_c}0|pic05.jpg|myTitleA|myTextA{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_c}0|pic06.jpg|myTitleB|myTextB{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_c}0|pic07.jpg|myTitleC|myTextC{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_c}0|pic08.jpg|myTitleD|myTextD{/becssg_c*} - without the asterisks . . . and so on

Notice:
It is of no importance where within your content item and in which order your settings are.
The number of parameters has always to be 4. This means, a call always must contain 3 vertical bars, even if a setting is empty (e.g. the imagefile).
These vertical bars are protected characters within the calls and may not be used within your values.



Links


If you want to link the images of our gallery, there is a third call to do so:

{*becssg_l}gallery-number|imagefile|URL|titel|target{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks

Gallery-number:
The galleries within one content item are numbered by the plug-in automatically starting with 0.
This setting is obligatory.

Imagefile:
The exact name of the file "myimage.jpg".
Left empty, the call is used as default for the whole gallery. This means, if there is no setting for an image, this one is used.

URL:
The URL you want to link the image with. e.g.: http://www.bretteleben.de

Title:
The title, shown when the mouse is over the image. e.g.: bretteleben.de

target:
The window, you want to open the linked URL. e.g.: _blank (new window), _self (same window)

Samples:

{*becssg_l}0||http://www.bretteleben.de|bretteleben.de|_blank{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks
This call sets a default link for the first gallery within the current content item by leaving the value for the image file empty. The link opens in a new window.

{*becssg_l}1|pic01.png|http://www.disney.com|Disney|_self{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks
pic01.png in the second gallery within the content item is linked to www.disney.com. The link opens in the current window.

{*becssg_l}0|pic02.png|||{/becssg_l*} -without the asterisks
We don´t want pic02.png in the first gallery within the content item to be linked. A special case, because as soon as we have links within a gallery, every image gets linked. Setting this empty call the image is linked to the current page, without any further setting.

{*becssg_l}0|pica.jpg|http://www.my.domain.com/myGreatProduct1|greatProduct1|_self{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_l}0|picb.jpg|http://www.my.domain.com/myGreatProduct2|greatProduct2|_self{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_l}0|picc.jpg|http://www.my.domain.com/myGreatProduct3|greatProduct3|_self{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks
{*becssg_l}0|picd.jpg|http://www.my.domain.com/myGreatProduct4|greatProduct4|_self{/becssg_l*} - without the asterisks... and so on

Notice:
It is of no importance where within your content item and in which order your setting are.
The number of parameters has always to be 5. This means, a call always must contain 4 vertical bars, even if a setting is empty (e.g. the image file).
These vertical bars are protected characters within the calls and may not be used within your values.

That's it, have fun with the plug-in!

Important! Items stolen from ARHS

Written by ARHS. Posted in Latest News

Important Notice To All With An Interest In Railway History

At some time in the latter part of the week ending 18th December there was a burglary at the ARHS Vic Div Inc Railway Museum in North Williamstown. Learn more...

Araluen Project Update February

Written by Doug Willet. Posted in Club News

 

The EMRC was approached in 2009 by AraluenEntering the temporary tunnel.(Lower Templestowe), a training centre for adults with an intellectual disability, to see if there was interest in helping the staff and clients of Araluen to construct a small working layout. Some EMTC members met with Araluen staff, and a small group of EMRC members volunteered to be part of the project.  Over the next few weeks, EMRC members drew up a number of possible designs. Part of the challenge was the restricted space available (the layout size was to be 8ft X 5ft), and meeting the needs of the clients, which were different to those of the members of EMRC. Club members are interested in finely detailed models that would pass exhibition standards, all the aspects of creating a working layout, challenging projects, stimulating operations, and a layout that would stand the rigours of travelling to exhibitions. Such a layout would be built to suit and please members of EMRC themselves. Ther Araluen clients have different intrests.

Committee Meeting Minutes 2009-November

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Committee Meeting Minutes

                                  ELTHAM MODEL RAILWAY CLUB INC.

 

                        MINUTES OF MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Tuesday 24 November 2009      Meeting opened at 8.10pm at Eltham

 

Present:                    Mark L.           David H.         John R.           Ian D.

Apologies:                  Glenn E.         

Absent:                       Nil

 

Correspondence        In:      AMRM December

                                             Railway Digest October

                                             SCMRA Annual Report

                                             Confirmation for Sandown Exh Mar 2010

Out:    Email to Corio chasing Exh info

           Internal emails

 

Pres read minutes of the Oct Meeting.  Moved John/sec David. Accepted.

 

Matters arising:          Ceiling leak ongoing. Mark write to council?

                                                 SES expected to go in upstairs.

                                                 Static grass and glue now on hand – now to experiment with it.

                                                 Club Listing has appeared in the Dec AMRM.

                                                 Expenditure on accessory control reqmts for Murranbilla.

                                                                         

General Business:     SES expected to move in upstairs next week. Still nothing official from Council.

                                   Need to liaise over access to alarm/security system. Also need to discuss if we can access on several weekends per year for likely layout work. Mark to make contact after they move in.

                                   Nillumbik Festival numbers through were less than last year. No advance publicity or flyers were done (why?)

                                   Urn has been left on twice in the last few weeks. Members must ensure ALL power is off at lockup !!!!!

                                   Ian bought the latest 3 VR rolling stock books.

 

Shelf layout:               Need buy track – Peco 100 decided on.

                                   Point control – more Tortoises at big expense? But why not use manual point rodding???? Makes sense.

 

Exhibition Layout:        Layout now set up – a few glitches at the Open Days on joins and

Electrical matters. David doing more testing. Age of the layout is becoming an increasing concern.

John presented a proposal for a new 24ft X 11ft BG/SG mainline layout. The concept will be put to members on club nights for discussion. Mark will copy the track plan to show members. Investigate planning/drawing computer programs to help.      

 

Meeting closed 9.20 pm.

Next Committee Meeting Tue 22 December 2009

 

                                               ***************************************


EMRC – WHAT’S HAPPENING

________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE –

 

 

 

Next Committee Meeting      - Tue 22 December 2009 ????

 

 

Next General Meeting             - Monday  8 February 2010

 

 

Next Exhibitions                    - Corio 23-24 January 2010 – still not confirmed

                                   - Sandown March 2010        – now confirmed

 

 

Other                                     -Xmas Party Sat !2 December – at Roger’s place,      Yarraview Road Yarra Glen, from 6pm

 

                                               - Last night for 2009 – Mon 21 December -   

                                                Resume 11 or 18 January.

 

 

                                               ***************************************

Committee Meeting Minutes 2009-June

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Committee Meeting Minutes

                                  ELTHAM MODEL RAILWAY CLUB INC.

 

                        MINUTES OF MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday 23 June 2009     Meeting opened at 8.15pm at Eltham

 

Present:                    Mark L.           Rob L.            Glenn E.         John R.

                                   Ian D.              David H.

Apologies:                  Nil       

Absent:                       Nil

 

David was invited to attend the meeting to discuss his proposal to rewire the point motors on Murranbilla.

 

Correspondence        In:       Waverley MRC re Mulgrave Exh.

Railway Digest June

                       

Out:    Emails about Seymour and Mulgrave Exh

 

Secretary read minutes of the May Meeting. Accepted.

 

Matters arising:         -Mark – Repairs made to back door and window. All valuable items should be stored in the locked room. Discuss at next Gen Mtg.

                                   -Araluen: ongoing - Doug has been working with them.

                                   -David still to finalise new Membership and Exhibition cards.

                                   -Barry was discussed. Hasn’t been in contact for months, didn’t appear at Mulgrave, hasn’t paid subs, lets drop him as a member.

-Ian bought the new rolling stock book.

-Glenn – website now stable and running OK. Glenn and Ian are adding photos and news items. 

                                   -Seymour and Maldon visits went ahead as planned.

Treasurer:                 -Mark asked Glenn - who are now the five members with the largest subs backlog?

 

General Business      Mark – Should we have a weekend working bee to properly secure the breakin area? 

-Future exhibitions – see below.

                                    

Exhibition Layout:       -Mulgrave Exh was discussed. A good show, setup and pulldown was structured and went well. The new joining up method saved at least an hour at setup. There were constant track, point, and electrical glitches again. Operator turnup times were again an issue on opening day, which needs to be addressed. John will report and make recommendations at the Aug Gen Mtg.

                                   -Ian advised of an approach for Hobsons Bay at Easter. No commitment given. Committee not in favour due to the run of shows for next six months, then more work on the layout needs to be done. Members will be emailed inviting their thoughts.

                                   -Future work – John/Ian will redo the platform, Geoff has been asked to modify a new signal box (bought at Mulgrave) to VR appearance. Perhaps add point rodding? Track, point, and electrical work is needed. Could redo the stockyard to something more realistic.

 

                                   David presented his point control rewiring proposal. It will require new electrical componentry: the end result being wiring simplification and more reliability. Ultimate cost? Around $1200. Mark is to email members recommending that we explore this proposal furtherand invite member comments.        

 

Shelf Layout:              -Work seems to have stalled. John stated that nothing much is happening on Monday nights – too much talk around the table and not enough work. Need to make some progress……  

 

 

Meeting closed 9.41 pm.

Next Committee Meeting Tue 28 July

 

                                               ***************************************

 

                                                                                               

                                                                       

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         committeemins.doc      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EMRC – WHAT’S HAPPENING

________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE –

 

 

 

Next Committee Meeting      - Tue 28 July

 

 

Next General Meeting             - Monday 10 August A.G.M.

 

 

Next Exhibitions                    - Caulfield 22-23 August – as-good-as confirmed.

                                               - Eltham Festival November (dates?)

                                   - Corio 23-24 January – to be confirmed

                                   - Sandown March 2010 – to be confirmed

- Approach from Hobsons Bay for Collingwood at Easter 2010. Committee not in favour. Members to be canvassed.                                                              

 

Other                                      - Possible weekend working bee to secure the breakin area. Date to be arranged.

 

 

 

 

                                               ***************************************

Mulgrave Exhibition

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Latest News

Murranbilla was exhibited again at the Waverley MRC's Exhibition at Mulgrave held over the Queen's Birthday Weekend 2009.

Members Visit SRHC

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Latest News

Several members and families made a visit to the Seymour Rail Heritage Centre on Saturday 30 May 2009.

We were given extensive and informative guided tour over their facilities for approximately two hours by SRHC Member Geoff Burgoyne.

Committee Meeting Minutes 2009-May

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Committee Meeting Minutes

                                  ELTHAM MODEL RAILWAY CLUB INC.

 

                        MINUTES OF MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday 26 May 2009      Meeting opened at 8.15pm at Eltham

 

Present:                    Mark L.           Ian D.             Glenn E.         John R.

Apologies:                  Rob L.

Absent:                       Nil

 

Correspondence        In:       SCMRA Service Directory

                                               Railway Digest May

                                               AMRM June

                                               Email – Waverley Club revised setup time for Exh                                                              Email – Melb-N-Trak stuff for sale

                                               Email – confirming Caulfield Exh

                                               Various emails among members

                       

Out:    Corio accepting invite for Jan Exh

           Phone calls confirming Seymour visit date/nbrs

           Emails about Seymour and Mulgrave Exh

 

Secretary read minutes of the April Meeting. Accepted.

 

Matters arising:         -Mark – nothing further on future of our clubroom.

                                   -Araluen: ongoing - Doug has been working with them.

                                   -Backlog of subs significantly reduced now.

                                  -Sandown invite accepted by members at last Gen Meeting.

                                   -Seymour visit confirmed for Sat 30May.

                                   - David still to finalise new Membership and Exhibition cards.

                                   -Mark contacted Barry – still with us and will be at Mulgrave.

-Ian bought a new urn.

-Still no repairs made by Council after breakin a month ago.           

 

Treasurer:                 -Significant recent expenditure by members for the Murranbilla and shelf layout work to be claimed.

-Mark asked who are now the members with the largest subs backlog?

 

General Business      -Mark advised members of the Melb-N-Trak sale.

                                   -Glenn has made progress on the new club website, but the server is a bit unreliable at present. It is now available to all members who are encouraged to check it out, use it and contribute to it. As it’s still under development, the site is not be available to the public just yet.           

                                   -Prospective exhibitions – Caulfield August, Eltham November, Corio January, Sandown March.

                                   Not sure how many going on the Maldon trip (Rob not here tonight.)     

                                   -Ian to buy the next VR rolling stock book, due shortly.

 

Exhibition Layout:       -John reported on work done at setup last weekend. A reasonable turnout of members helped over the weekend. Generally successful enough to pack the layout in the trailer. The test will be on setup at Mulgrave.

                                   -Geoff is working on platform and station building at home.

                                   -John will issue a new EMP this week.

                                   -Earlier hall availability is great, Roger and Bill will sort out towing.

                                   -Little opportunity for major (time-consuming) work until after March 2010 due to likely regular commitments until then (as above.) We may call a halt for a few months after Sandown to do more work. The cutting/farm module is of concern, scenery keeps cracking.

                                   -The less we can handle the modules the better – or the more they are handled, the more they are susceptible to damage.      

 

Shelf Layout:              -Next task is to put timber supports on wall brackets then mount the now-completed modules. They have proven light, strong and rigid. Some ends need to be finished for joining first. After this, make more modules.  

                                    

 

 

Meeting closed 8.47 pm.

Next Committee Meeting Tue 23 June

 

                                               ***************************************

 

                                                                                               

                                                                      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         committeemins.doc      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EMRC – WHAT’S HAPPENING

________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE –

 

 

 

Next Committee Meeting      - Tue 23 June

 

 

Next General Meeting             - Monday 10 August A.G.M.

 

 

Next Exhibitions                    - Mulgrave 6-7-8 June – Final EMP to be issued this week.

                                             - Caulfield 23-23 August – now confirmed.

                                               - Eltham Festival November (dates?)

                                   - Corio 23-24 January – accepted by members at May

                                               General Meeting – to be confirmed

                                   - Sandown March 2010 – to be confirmed                                                              

 

Other                                      -Seymour visit - Sat 30 May.

                                               -Maldon steam trip 13 Jun – see Robert

 

 

 

 

                                               ***************************************

Committee Meeting Minutes 2009-Feb

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Committee Meeting Minutes

                                  ELTHAM MODEL RAILWAY CLUB INC.

 

                        MINUTES OF MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday 24 Feb 2009      Meeting opened at 8.10pm at Eltham

 

Present:                    Mark L.           Rob L.           Glenn E.         John R. 

           Ian D.

 

Apologies:                  Nil

                                               

Absent:                       Nil       

 

Correspondence        In:       None reported.             

                                                          

Out:    None reported.

           

 

Matters arising:         -Mark advised no contact made yet with Council and LLEN.

                                   -Araluen: Doug had emailed a comprehensive report on the visit made to Araluen by himself, Charles and Glenn, with a series of recommendations. It was decided to approve the interested members go ahead with the project on behalf of the club as follows – “The EMRC to formally take on whatever role Araluen request as a project by the whole Club, but a core group to bear the brunt of responsibility, reporting back to the EMRC as needed, occasionally drawing on the expertise of other members when needed.”Mark will advise Doug accordingly. The core group at this stage is Doug, Charles and Glenn. Others may wish to, and are welcome to be involved.

  

Treasurer:                 -Will present a report to members only at the quarterly General Meetings, (and not at monthly committee meetings.)

                                   

General Business:     -Quarterly General Meetings, to be held on the 2nd Monday in Feb, May, Aug, Nov.   

-Following normal club practice, the recommendation was made that our remote-living non-financial members (Paul and Brendon) should be regarded as associate members without voting rights. To be put to members at the next General Meeting. The Secretary is to obtain a copy of the Incorporated Clubs Model Rules or Constitution.

-Seymour visit – propose Sat 18 April if possible. To be put to members ASAP.

-Secretary to communicate Committee Meeting minutes to members by emailing to members, and placing on notice board.           

 

 

 

 

 

 

            

       

Exhibition Layout:       -Discussion on progress of work on Murranbilla. Butting plates, larger 4 hole hinges recommended, ways to cut out recesses in end boards for hinges, next week cut, glue and screw backing blocks, sand back butting plates already in place. John advised we are unable to use the alignment dowells (which can be used for the shelf layout.)

                                   -Ian advised Sandown 2010 is open for applications. (We declined 2009 due to current refurbishment task. To be put to members at next General Meeting.  

 

Shelf Layout:              -Discussion on advancing the project. John produced alternative designs for modules. It was recommended to try the one with diagonal bracing, using the various ply thicknesses we have on hand. Glenn will do calculations and drawings. Incorporate alignment dowells into module ends.    

 

Meeting closed 9.25 pm.

 

                                               ***************************************

 

                                                                                               

                                                                       

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         committeemins.doc      

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EMRC – WHAT’S HAPPENING

________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE –

 

 

 

Next Committee Meeting      - Tue 24 March.

 

 

Next General Meeting             - Monday 11 May

 

 

Next Exhibitions                    - Mulgrave 6-7-8 June

                                             - Caulfield 23-23 August. (awaiting confirmation)      

                                               - Sandown March 2010  (vote next Gen Meeting)

 

Other                                      - Possible Seymour visit  - Sat 18 April

 

 

 

                                               ***************************************

Monthly Committee Meeting 2009-Apr

Written by Ian Deans. Posted in Committee Meeting Minutes

                                  ELTHAM MODEL RAILWAY CLUB INC.

 

                        MINUTES OF MONTHLY COMMITTEE MEETING

 

Monday 28 Apr 2009       Meeting opened at 8.05pm at Eltham

 

Present:                    Mark L.           Rob L.           Glenn E.         John R. 

           Ian D.

 

Apologies:                  Nil

                                               

Absent:                       Nil       

 

Correspondence        In:       Invite to attend Corio Exh. Jan 2010    

Confirmation of Waverley Exh arrangements                                   Resignation letter from Greg McNamara

Railway Digest April issue

Phone calls re Seymour visit.

Various emails among members

                       

Out:    Confirming Waverley Exh arrangements

           Phone calls confirming Seymour visit date/nbrs

 

 

Secretary read minutes of the March Meeting. Accepted.

 

Matters arising:         -Mark - LLEN has no info on future of clubroom building.

                                   -Araluen: ongoing - Doug has been having talks with them.

                                   -Backlog of subs still an issue. It is over $400. A new collection method will be implemented in an attempt to make up the backlog. Mark/Glenn to discuss with the five members owing the most amounts.

                                  -Sandown still to be discussed at next General Meeting.

                                   -Seymour visit confirmed for Sat 30May

                                   - David still to finalise new Membership and Exhibition cards.

 

Treasurer:                 To report to members at the quarterly General Meetings.

 

General Business      -Break-in at clubroom (probably last night). Rob arrived tonight to find entry had been gained from the back and some damage sustained to back door, steel mesh grille and louvre windows. Upstairs alarm light was flashing – we assume the intruders had been disturbed when the alarm activated. Nothing inside was disturbed or stolen that we can see. Police attended twice tonight. -Haven’t seen Barry at club for several weeks.

                                   -Glenn is working on the new club website with assistance from James and Rob.

                                   -Rob has a leaflet re an R-class hauled steam trip to Maldon on 13 June. He has placed a copy on the Notice Board.

                                   -Ian advised we need a new urn, the current one is leaking. Ian will look for one.

                                   -Prospective exhibitions – Caulfield August, Eltham November, Corio January, Sandown March.

                                   -Charles came out of hospital today – much better and looking forward to returning to club.    

 

 

    

 

Exhibition Layout:       -John reported on work done over Easter and other recent days and nights. More is planned until it’s done. Four joints are now done, four more to go. 

                                   -Geoff is working on platform and station building at home.

                                   -David and Chris are doing electrical work.

                                   John would like to see more membership involvement in the task and will be attempting to get more help.  

                                   -We are hoping this will mean an hour less setup time at exhibitions.

 

Shelf Layout:              -Baseboard construction is under way using different bracing methods and various grades of ply. Both straight and curved ones seem to have worked out OK – are strong and rigid. John suggests we try an alternative method for the next curved one.  

                                   -Next – put timber supports on wall brackets then mount the modules we have made.

                                    

 

 

Meeting closed 9.00 pm.

Next Committee Meeting Tue 26 May

 

                                               ***************************************

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         committeemins.doc      

 

 

 


 

 

EMRC – WHAT’S HAPPENING

________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

MEMBERS PLEASE NOTE –

 

 

 

Next Committee Meeting      - Tue 26 May

 

 

Next General Meeting             - Monday 11 May

 

 

Next Exhibitions                    - Mulgrave 6-7-8 June

                                             - Caulfield 23-23 August  (awaiting confirmation)

                                               - Eltham Festival in November

                                   - Corio 23-24 January – to be put to members at May

                                    General Meeting

                                   - Sandown March 2010 (members to vote next General                                            Meeting                                   

 

Other                                      -Proposed working bees over the next few weekends and other days/nights as required.

                                               -Mid-May deadline for completion of Murranbilla work ready for testing.

                                               -Seymour visit - Sat 30 May.

                                               -Maldon steam trip 13 Jun – see Robert

 

 

 

 

                                               ***************************************

Shelf Layout Progress

Written by Glenn. Posted in Latest News

The Shelf Layout is starting to take shape. The use of girders is proving most successful. The structures are light yet strong. Refer to the images below to see how it's shaping up.

Murranbilla Jobs

Written by Mark Laidlay. Posted in Exhibition Management

Jobs required before next Exhibition

Problem

Solution

“New” staging tracks need tortoises installed

Do it.

Dead track

Hill end mainline turnout has dead frog???

Turnouts not working in staging

Install Tortises

Dead track at cutting end of staging yard

???

Dead track at river end of goods shed track

???

Dodgy blades on turnout to silo

???

Tidy Wiring

Isolation section on silo road extension

More/New trees around station

Repairs on platform

To Be Done After Exhibition

Problem

Solution

Silo tidy up

Alignment at section joins leading to track alignment problems

Longer term fix with alignment plates, two on each join, at least one as close to the track as possible.

high spots at section joins leading to track alignment problems

After the alignment plates have been installed, lift track, remove cork, lay masonite, sand level then relay track.

We need to have different grass on each side of a fence.

Whole layout needs to be set up.

Do we need fencing on the down side past the river?

Signals light or semaphore –working.

Point rodding/ motors/ point levers/ signal wires.

Replacement “industry” for cattle yard.

Make new leg holders for low area of trailer.

Storage cases to store modules (weatherproof) outside trailer.

Low priority, is this so we can build a second layout and keep both?

Roster for Phillip Island

Written by Mark Laidlay. Posted in Exhibition Management

Schedule and Roster for Monday, 26 January 2009

Location – Melbourne Functions venue, Rupert Clarke Grandstand, Caulfield Race Course Station Street Caulfield East, refer Melways map number 68 E1. Access is via #2 gate which is on Station street.

What

Who

When

Other

Pick up trailer

Mark or Bill and Glenn

Monday 18th

Paddock Key

Pack

All

Monday 18th

Trailer key

Take packed trailer to venue

Bill

Friday 22nd

Vehicle

Arrive at Venue

12:30

Friday 22nd

Trailer key

Trailer Storage

??

Space

Exhibitor Parking

Set up Friday 22nd

Ian, John, David, Rob, Bill and Geoff

Access from 12n -9p

Saturday 23rd

Ian, Mark, Don, Paul, Roger, Martin, James, Rob until 1400

(David at DVR)

Exhibition times are 9a – 6p

Access time is 8a – 7p

Saturday Night do

Booking required

??

Sunday 24th

John, Glenn, Barry, Paul, Bill, James (9-2)

(David at DVR)

Exhibition times are 9a – 5p

Access time is 8a- 9pm

Pack up

As above plus -

From 5p til 8p

Tow to “home”

Bill (David’s front yard)

Sunday night

Trailer key

Monday Night Meeting

Yes

Monday 24th

Unpack

All

Monday 24th

Trailer key

Trailer back to paddock

Bill (with cover)

Monday 24th

Paddock Key

Contact Details

Name

Home

Mobile

Mark Laidlay

03 9437 0431

0417 389 426 or 0427 370 431

Ian Deans

03 9435 0437

0409 162 244

Doug Willett

03 9718 1163

Glenn Eaton

03 9431 2145

0427 057 260

John Reid

03 9431 0880

David Head

03 9432 8995

0425 738 196

Don Shelden

03 9439 7958

0411 468 459

Brendon Judkins

0427 540 749

Roger Purser

03 9730 1277

0409 616 591

Paul Washer

0427 333 550

Charles Koning

03 9440 5269

Chris Herbert

03 9458 5440

0414 803 824

Geoff Collis

03 9439 9428

0419 564 354

JamesSolakidis

03 9439 9929

0431 650 344

Robert Lee

03 9444 6013

0404 463 979

Bill Dight

03 9467 4564

0419 346 342

Martin Murden

03 9434 5187

0416 186 589

Paul Gallagher

03 9439 1039

0421 855 436

Barry Cox

03 9437 0631

0400 979 588

Exhibitions